Wednesday, June 24, 2015

POINT OF RETREAT by COLLEEN HOOVER

Still very much in love, Will and Lake wholeheartedly took upon themselves the parental responsibilities to their younger siblings while also fitting themselves into unusual living and studying arrangements to make ends meet.  As told through Will’s eyes, a lover from his past surfaced again who would knock on their undisturbed lives and make Lake question everything about the foundation and direction of their relationship. Will would try to piece the perfect answer together to Lake’s ultimate question to win her back.
My heart pounds against my chest. Not because I'm nervous. Not even because I want her worse that I've ever wanted her before. It's pounding against my chest because I realize I've never been so sure about the rest of my life than I am in this moment. This girl is the rest of my life. – Will Cooper

Okay, so let’s be real here. I don’t think there ever really was a complication in the story. It was like the characters just created their own, so there would be something to deal with throughout the rest of the pages. It felt forced. Honestly, I think it was petty and not needing an entire book for a solution. The incident on the last part, though it spiced up things a bit, did not help the story that much and still lacked something.

But in fairness, though this novel quite lost its bearings on plot depth, it still managed to keep its flow at a constant, slow, steady pace which also got me glued on reading. It could get irritating because of how unnecessary some things were, but it would make up for it by keeping some interesting things going. It could get frustrating, just frustrating, without being totally unbearable.

It is also worth pointing out that Point of Retreat at least still managed to keep the cute romantic feel going between the central characters which got me hooked to this series in the first place. The little sweet nothings were just hard to contain, more so were the childish acts of cute quarreling and making up. Colleen Hoover surely knows the way to the heart.

I know how you like to be asked and not told. But I'm not asking you to marry me... I'm telling you to marry me, Lake.. because I can't live without you. – Will Cooper

Sadly, the poems were less present because they had been replaced with journal jottings and musings. But every time this play on words made an appearance, it never failed to awaken the poem lover and romantic in me. I forgot to mention this in my first post for this book series, but I thought, though they may sometimes be too personal and trivial content-wise, they could still strike such a strong impact on the story and the reader. Talk about romanticizing what was already romantic, yes please.

That hospital situation where Will was so devastated and worried felt so real to me. What he went through became a truly relatable moment in which he got all my sympathy. It must have been a hell of an ordeal. How he handled himself through out that part was also worth admiring and would make for an ideal coping mechanism.

Overall, I think that Point of Retreat was still a nice read despite all the off-putting observations I had. It just really lacked any oomph factor, even just a slight one, that could have sealed the book as fascinating at least.

So I'm not about to apologize for loving all these things about you, no matter the reasons or the circumstances behind them.

And no, I don’t need days, or weeks, or months to think about why I love you.

It’s an easy answer for me.

I love you because of you.

Because of

every

single

thing

about you. – Will Cooper

I’m onto This Girl, the last book of this series, now, and I do hope it’s better than this one.

Are you done reading this book? What are your thoughts? I’d like to know them! Feel free to share them below!

Photo source: http://www.goodreads.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts