Tuesday, April 2, 2013

WORDPLAY

“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”                                                                                                          ― Buddha

To put things in perspective, passion is seen when what’s inside one’s heart and soul comes to fruition. Like fuel to the flame, it kindles a person’s imagination to not let it stay an imagination. One NEEDS to do something about it.

People’s passions in life are incredibly diverse it’s wonderful and mysterious at the same time. Some have this ineffable thing for numbers, some for aesthetics, some for space and dimension, others for things intangible.  As for me, I have this thing for words and thoughts.

I want to be a writer, a really good one.

One’s aspirations in life, assuming that one is lucky enough, may be realized at a young age, or may be later in life. Mine was before I graduated in college. If anything, I wish I could’ve realized it sooner. I was dreading all the writing stuff we used to have in school back then. I would often, if not all the time, produce works which weren’t given so much thought, the kind of outputs that would surely give me a passing score but not one that would leave an impression on my teachers and classmates. I have lost a lot of chances at learning because of this. Such a sad truth. That being said, there’s no need to dwell on moments and opportunities we can never get back.

“Why writing,” you ask. For starters, writing because it’s the simplest form of art. A pen, a paper, a lot of great ideas, and I’m good to go. But more importantly, here’s why - because I suck at telling stories. My great tales lose their oomph once they’ve come out of my mouth. I hate it when it happens, and it happens a lot.  But when I write them down, it just all feels right. I get to say the right things at the right time with the right emphasis. I get to relate and connect to other people better. And errors, they are easier to undo. Writing because it’s a form of release, an avenue for things you can’t say. It’s a solution to problems, to things misunderstood. But more than anything, writing because it’s the best way I know how to channel my thoughts.

I want to write, the kind of writing you do for yourself. While a lot of people would say this is what they actually do, write to both free and feed their minds primarily, sometimes they just lose it along the way. When others start admiring them for what they do, their goal suddenly becomes pleasing others and gaining more praises. They eventually get eaten up by thoughts of what people would have to say or what people would think. That poisons the purity of one’s passion. I don’t want that to happen to me. I want to have consistency. I want to be true to what I do and keep it that way. Before others can appreciate my work, I’d have to make sure I appreciate it myself.

I know this is a long shot, but I’ll just take comfort in the fact that, at least, I’ve already found my niche. I’m proud to say that I’m trying to do something about it. 

And this, this is a good start. J


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts