Tuesday, April 28, 2015

ME BEFORE YOU by JOJO MOYES

Used to a life of excitement and adventures, Will Traynor was devastated when he met an unfortunate accident that turned him into a quadriplegic always in need of someone else’s hands to do even the simplest things for him. Louisa Clark was hired to be the extra hand he needs and to keep him company daily. What was initially employee-employer relationship turns into something special. What starts out as solely a means for her family to survive the recession gives her a deeper purpose which later becomes her love-driven mission in life – to keep Will’s interest in life alive.
All I can say is that you make me... you make me into someone I couldn't even imagine. You make me happy, even when you're awful. I would rather be with you - even the you that you seem to think is diminished - than with anyone else in the world. – Lou Clark

Me Before You is another sad, moving love story about two people who were both introduced and separated by an ill-fated circumstance.

It was a sad story but not as sad. I liked how it was building up to the love affair while also keeping it a bit hollow and shallow, not making the attachment too hard to let go, so it became really sad in a way that it did not give the reader false hopes.

It became very easy for me to understand where both central characters were coming from and why they acted as such and such, especially with Lou. She had no known knowledge about Will’s situation, so everything began from rags with her. How everything built up for her was also how everything built up for me as a reader.

You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible. – Will Traynor

It was good that it did not just revolve around Will and Lou. It also captured the side of the other characters while in the process of being affected by the life of the two central characters. If anything though, the other voices/perspectives used only added variety but didn’t make much of an impact.

I felt like the last part was cut hastily, that final conversation between Will and Louisa. It could’ve been stretched out longer to be made more heartrending. I was already feeling the emotions but before I reach the most painful words, it was over.  It was like there were “almost” tears that never happened.

Push yourself. Don't Settle. Just live well. Just LIVE. – Will Traynor

It was not the kind of ending I had hoped for. Of course, I wanted the ideal, happy ending that would put a smile on everyone, but I later on realized it was the nicer ending for it gave better meaning to the real intention of the story.

Me Before You is a beautiful read for someone who wishes to enjoy something that cuts straight through the heart.

Are you done reading this book? What are your thoughts? I’d like to know them! Feel free to share them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts