Wednesday, September 10, 2014

REFLECTED IN YOU by SYLVIA DAY

Reflected In You picks up where the story of Eva and Gideon left off with Bared To You with more outside forces – their families, friends, shrink, and mainly previous relationships – and more action and more drama getting involved along the way.

This sequel digs deeper on the effects and repercussions of the traumatic sexually abusive pasts of both central characters, acknowledging the fact that in the first novel said history was only introduced and barely discussed. In great connection, trust issues are brought up once more. But above and beyond all their problems, this book shows how deep their love for each other has gotten into them physically, emotionally, mentally, and romantically.
“You’re the greatest risk I’ve ever taken. And the greatest reward.” – Gideon Cross

First off, this book is too graphic! There was too much sex happening! And it did not fail to document every detail of how things went down where that aspect was concerned. Haha! I mean I knew what I was in for, but it still surprised me when I read line after line after line of raw and carnal sex. Haha!

“Because of you, the world makes sense to me in a way it didn’t before. I have a place now, with you.” – Gideon Cross

If Eva and Gideon have proven anything, it is that them holding on to the love they have for each other, no matter how quirky and crazy it is, is worth everything. Though their appreciation for and treatment of each other are quite hard to dig and relate to, the resulting actions of their extreme degree of love is still pretty romantic stuff. Indeed, love knows no bounds.

Talking about quirks and craziness, their fights became tiring at times. It was sometimes hard to empathize because it felt more like an exhausting game, going from attachment to detachment and back, between Eva and Gideon with all their trust issues and lack of communication and impulsive reactions all throughout the story. And I was just helplessly observing and there was nothing more I could do.

Truth be told, it took me a longer time to finish reading this one because I paused for moments since apparently the hassles of their relationship got into me, and I just felt tired after every heavy argument, which was the least of what I’d wish to feel while into a book.

Halfway through Reflected In You, I realized it was not as romantic and tear-jerker for me as it should have been. Sure, there were sweet exchanges of promises and acts of love but they did not overshadow nor equal to the stresses and problems of them as individuals and as a couple.

“People get over love. They can live without it, they can move on. Love can be lost and found again. But that won't happen for me. I won't survive you, Eva.” – Gideon Cross

This was why I was surprised to be facing suspense near the end of the book. It was in the last pages leading up to the murder and investigation when I regained my interest to continue with it. I had to find out what had happened, and when I did, I could not believe it. Damn. Now, there really is something to look forward to in the final novel.

I didn’t expect that the plot would build up to such conclusion, and it left me intrigued enough to want to get started with the last book of this trilogy asap. I’m ready!

Are you done reading this book? Share your thoughts!
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts