Wednesday, April 2, 2014

CONFESSIONS OF A MURDER SUSPECT by JAMES PATTERSON and MAXINE PAETRO


(Late post!)

Tandy Angel and her siblings have become suspects of the alleged murder of their very own parents. To prove her innocence as she was the primary suspect, Tandy conducted her own investigation which revealed a lot of discoveries about not just the deaths, but also about each family member. Tandy was surprised that she knew less than she thought about her parents and their means of nurturing their kids.

I’ve always enjoyed James Patterson's works because though they are all very easy to read and fast to finish, they still manage to give the readers excitement and keep their interest for long. This novel is no exception to that magic.

Though I said that Confessions of a Murder Suspect possesses some characteristics that are usually Patterson's trademark, I still somehow don't see this as a James Patterson classic. I’m not saying I’ve read a lot of his books, but I’ve already read some. If I were to compare this one to his other novels, I’d say this was different because there wasn't really a murder, which is basically what I always find in his books. Also, here, a teenager was the lead character and the primary investigator of the crime, not some adult cop. There wasn't also a series of death or killings which was common in Patterson’s previous works.

The play between science and crime in the plot was cool! Patterson integrated science by using human experimentations to show the parents’ frustrations for their kids’ perfection. I thought it was a pretty good touch to add to the plot. I mean, it was one good way of showing the depth of human’s behaviors and emotions. I found the motive very deep and intriguing.

One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters. – George Herbert

The fact that the narrator kept on addressing the reader was very nice. It was like having a casual conversation or confession. By doing so, the readers would easily be attached to the story and would feel like they were really part of the story. I also liked the idea that the author kept on stating directly that she was delaying more details while talking to the reader. It was about just as annoying as it was exciting. Haha!

Though I liked the story, I was still not satisfied with the ending. You see, there wasn't a closure to everything. I understand that sometimes we, the readers, should draw our own conclusions to the story, but it just didn't feel right with this one. A clearer and more-detailed ending could’ve been better. Tamara Gee's death for instance, was it really Matty's doing or not? What did it have to do with the story? I thought it shouldn’t have just been added to the story since it didn’t really help.

It’s one thing to ask someone if they’re guilty. It’s another to be asked. I was nonplussed. – Tandy Angel

Also, why was it that I often imagined the lead character as a guy and not a girl? Was it just me? Haha! In my opinion, it would be more effective and believable if the narrator were a “he.”

All in all, it was a nice and enjoyable book. This is a nice read if you just wanna pass the time. It’s something thrilling enough to make you want to finish it, but not too heavy to rob you of a relaxed mood. J

Are you done reading this book? Share your thoughts!

*photo source: http://crazyredpen.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts