Tuesday, January 26, 2016

NOVEMBER 9 by COLLEEN HOOVER

Fallon and Ben found a way to turn their November 9, that date every year they used to despise, into something they would both look forward to. They both agreed to only meet once each year to spend the whole day all to each other. As an aspiring writer, Ben used their unusual arrangement as an inspiration for his debut novel. But as their meetings progressed, Fallon became unsure about how much he knew about Ben and how much Ben actually knew about her.
You’ll never be able to find yourself if you’re lost in someone else. – Fallon’s mother

There were two things that stood out for me in November 9. First, the unique plotline that gave birth to the book title. It was really interesting and hooking that I even caught myself looking excited for that date to appear again in the book because it entailed new possibilities and unexpected things for Fallon and Ben. Second, I liked its concept of this exact novel being also the novel in it, some sort of book inception, cool stuff. It got me feeling extra immersed in the story.

Because when you love someone, you owe it to them to help them be the best version of themselves that they can be. And as much as it crushes me to admit this, the best version of you doesn’t include me. – Ben Kessler

As usual, the heart-melting romance that made me like Colleen Hoover’s other works in the first place was ever self-evident. The modern knight in shining armor approach was a good starter for one while the little sweet gestures and the huge actions of love combined would make every reader want to have the same guy. That and the fact that Ben’s character also had a way with words – a romantic and a writer, kill me now.

I liked how likable and relatable Fallon and Ben were. It was easy to say they were all nice and good-natured people despite all that they had done and been through. It was also a plus for me that with all the misfortunes they faced, it didn’t feel as though everything that happened was too much for their age and situation. The story neither overworked nor barely worked the central characters. And it could all be actually associated into reality.

My flaws are draped in her mercy
Revered by her false perception
And with her lips upon my skin
She will undress my deception. – Ben Kessler

And in fairness with the plot twist towards the end, I didn’t see it coming. It was a good twist coming from a romance novel. It had a good foundation related through the characters’ background stories. It was the extra zing this book needed that made it more than just a love story.

When you find love, you take it. You grab it with both hands and you do everything in your power not to let it go. You can’t just walk away from it and expect it to linger until you’re ready for it. – Ben Kessler

While this novel is basically about love, it also discussed family issues and self-esteem issues as well. Suffice it to say I had tons of fun following Fallon and Ben’s story. From their unusual relationship arrangement, over-the-top displays of affection, unanticipated twists and beautiful reunion in the end, they were exactly what I wanted in a romance.

As much as I’d hate to admit this, cheesy novels are my thing. They are such light, fun-filled, sweet, and hopeful reads, and there are days when those are all I want in my life. Colleen Hoover has won me over several times through the aforementioned elements. And for the same reasons, I am excited to read more from her.

Are you done reading this book? What are your thoughts? I’d like to know them! Feel free to share them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts