Thursday, November 26, 2015

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by PAULA HAWKINS

Every day and night, Rachel Watson took the same train ride. She had been doing it for a long time that she already developed a fixation for some things she would come across while in transit, particularly Meghan and Scott, her favorite trainside resident couple who she thought was perfect. After finding out about the infidelity going on between the two, she got so affected that she just had to involve herself. Still in the midst of her depression and alcoholism, she would accidentally mix her personal post-divorce issues with her new obsession only to later find out that things were actually not an accident and that everything was really engrossed with each other.
Life is not a paragraph, and death is no parenthesis. – Rachel Watson

The Girl on the Train is a unique and twisted story about members of three families related, separated and interconnected by human nature’s misfortunes. It’s crazy to think about how many novels right now are written about marital and familial breakdowns and tragedies. This is yet another dark venture into how much such things can affect someone.

Though the twist in the end was not the ultimate shocker for me, it’s not to say it hadn’t had an impact. I mean, I kind of already figured out who did what, as it became easy for me to connect the dots, but I was still surprised when everything unfolded because I was like hoping I was wrong.  It’s always the good ones, right? Hehe.  

There was a good play on perspectives and time frames also. They gave me the intended confusion to lead me to different possibilities, just enough kind of crazy, without totally boring or misleading me. They were careful and well-thought of, in fairness.

He never understood that it’s possible to miss what you’ve never had, to mourn for it. – Rachel Watson

Being a psychological thriller, the book was all sorts of haunting even when there wasn’t much brutality displayed. The novel invested on building and implanting horrendous ideas inside the readers’ head through patches of provokingly horrible thoughts in between chapters. There would always be something creepy about not knowing or barely knowing, and the story was written around such principle.

It became unputdownable for me because of the interesting plot and the flow of the story. It was so unlikely for something like such a thing to ever occur. It was this unlikelihood that made me want to go on immediately. I was on it after meals, before bed or just about anytime I had nothing to do.

Being the other woman is a huge turn on, there’s no point denying it: you’re the one he can’t help but betray his wife for, even though he loves her. That’s just how irresistible you are. – Anna Watson

I’d say it was also this unlikelihood that made the book less relatable. And because it was like a one in a million scenario for me, it became hard to put myself in the same situation, as I wasn’t sure if I would be doing the same things the main character did. I was a detached reader in this novel, distant and separated. That was a bit off-putting for me because as a reader, it’s important for me that I connect with what I’m reading, not necessarily seeing myself in the characters but at least holding onto the story.  

I enjoyed The Girl on the Train. It was not something I thought about long after I finished it, but I was consumed while I was at it. There was always something to look forward to. It was dark and twisted, and that’s something I always find amusing, a sure win on my reading list.

Are you done reading this book? What are your thoughts? I’d like to know them! Feel free to share them below!

Photo source: http://paulahawkinsbooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts